G.A. Carlson Lime Kiln
Red wing, Minnesota
Red Wing’s Barn Bluff was a center of lime-making and stone quarrying in Minnesota from 1870 to 1910, with the G.A. Carlson Lime Kiln as the heart of the operation. By 1888, this kiln and its nearby sibling at Sorin’s Bluff were generating a combined 85,000 barrels of lime. However, the industry slowed down and the community became concerned about the effects of quarrying, and the kilns closed around 1908.
Our Historic Structure Report (HSR) was commissioned by the City of Red Wing, which intended to stabilize the lime kiln with the hope to incorporate it into the trail system on Barn Bluff. The HSR’s overall goals:
Structural engineer: Mattson Macdonald Young
Landscape architect: Damon Farber Associates
Cultural resources consultant: Two Pines Resource Group
City of Red Wing