James J. Hill House
saint paul, minnesota
The James J. Hill House is one of Saint Paul’s most important landmarks in terms of architecture and historical significance, as the former home of one of Minnesota's most important captains of industry. The estate, overlooking downtown, is best known for its imposing 36,000-square-foot house, built in 1891. Over the years, the elements and deferred maintenance had taken their toll, and exterior areas of the house and the grounds were in poor condition.
Our project was to restore areas of masonry, including the porte cochere as well as a gate house enclosed by a stone wall and iron fence along Summit Avenue, plus massive stone retaining walls to the south and west of the grounds.
Minnesota Historical Society
Building Restoration Corporation
Preservation Alliance of Minnesota Honor Award