Pierre Bottineau House
Elm Creek park reserve, Minnesota
This Greek Revival house was built by Pierre Bottineau circa 1854 and was one of the first houses erected in Osseo. Its mixture of construction techniques provides rare insight into the experimental nature of balloon frame construction used during the early settlement of Minnesota.
MacDonald & Mack Architects collaborated with the Minnesota Department of Transportation and Three Rivers Park District to relocate the house to the Elm Creek Park Reserve and restore it to its original configuration and period-appropriate appearance. Work also included stabilizing the balloon frame structure and providing heat, electricity, and lighting to facilitate its new use as an interpretive site depicting the life of Pierre Bottineau and early settlers in the Maple Grove area. In some areas, we intentionally left elements of the framing exposed for interpretive purposes.
Three Rivers Park District
and the Minnesota Department of Transportation
Contractor: American Liberty Construction
Structural Engineer: Mattson Macdonald Young
Electrical Engineer: Hallberg
Building Mover: Prodger House Movers
AIA Minnesota Honor Award, 2012
Minnesota Preservation Award, 2010
"Little House on the Prairie," Architecture Minnesota, July/August 2012.
"A Home for the Bottineau House," Minneapolis Star Tribune, November 10, 2010.