saint paul, Minnesota
The Pioneer and Endicott Buildings, built in 1889 and 1890 respectively, were joined by circulation and mechanical systems in 1941, effectively becoming one contiguous structure. The Pioneer Building was originally home to the Pioneer Press newspaper.
In recent years, the surrounding Lowertown neighborhood has been redeveloping rapidly, with many new residents moving into the historic buildings. Developer PAK Properties purchased the Pioneer-Endicott Buildings with the intention of joining this evolution as one of the landmark rehabilitation projects in the area. The project involved top-to-bottom restoration and rehabilitation, including the creation of new retail and commercial space on the ground and skyway levels, and apartments on the upper floors. We served a historic consultant to the project's firm of record, Pope Architects.
"Pioneer Endicott redo proving a hit in downtown St. Paul." Minneapolis Star Tribune, January 10, 2014.
"Second glory for downtown's Pioneer-Endicott buildings?" Saint Paul Pioneer Press, April13, 2013.